The full content of this document is only available to subscribing institutions. More information can be found via

Title Evangelical City Missionary Society Records, 1829-c.1849
Date 1829 - c.1849
Document Type Manuscript
Publisher Information Evangelical City Missionary Society (Worcester, Mass.)
Reference Mss. Octavo Vols. E
BIB ID 271477
Library / Archive American Antiquarian Society
Collection Name Pamphlets
Description The records of the Evangelical City Missionary Society, c.1849. Contains bylaws, subscription lists, and brief minutes of organisational meetings. The latter refers to elections of officers, treasurer's reports, and a statement of purpose. There is also an unrelated three-page list of bylaws of a Worcester Club Society, with appointments of officers for 1829, 1831, and 1836. The organisation appears to have been a women's club.
Biographical Note / History The Evangelical City Missionary Society was organized in Worcester, Mass., in 1849 under the presidency of Ichabod Washburn (1798-1868). It was a layman's movement which eventually included representatives of all the Evangelical churches in the city, for the purpose of furnishing "to the destitute inhabitants of our own country, the means of Christian instruction and moral improvement." The group hired a City Missionary whose salary was paid by the subscribers and who helped create Sunday schools and aid societies. Washburn built for the Society the Mission Chapel on Summer Street in 1855. The records of the Society end in 1856 but the Mission Chapel expanded its functions in the city, especially among the new immigrants during the early twentieth century.
Theme(s) Departures: Port Conditions and Organisation
Places Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
Keywords benevolent society, women, religion
Additional Information Please note: Some of the metadata for this document has been taken from the American Antiquarian Society catalogue.
Language English
Copyright American Antiquarian Society