The full content of this document is only available to subscribing institutions. More information can be found via

Title Emigration, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia Land Company
Date c.1836
Document Type Printed Extract
Reference CO 384/41
Library / Archive The National Archives
Collection Name War and Colonial Department and Colonial Office: Emigration Original Correspondence
Description Information on the stages of purchasing land through the New Brunswick and Nova Scotia Land Company, including information on the preferred occupation of the buyer.
Series Description This series contains correspondence relating to British settlement in North America and Australasia, and to Indian indentured labour in the West Indies. Until 1857 it consists of domestic letters alone. The series then ceases and is not resumed until 1872.
Biographical Note / History A Colonial Land and Emigration Commission was created in 1840 to undertake the duties of two earlier and overlapping authorities under the supervision of the secretary of state: the Colonisation Commissioners for South Australia and the Agent General for Emigration. In 1855 it became the Emigration Commission. The commission's powers were gradually given up to the larger colonies as they obtained self-government, and after 1873 it was responsible only for controlling the importation of Indian labour into sugar-producing colonies. It was abolished in 1878 and an Emigration Department was then set up in the Colonial Office. This department was merged with the General Department in 1894, and abolished altogether in 1896.
Theme(s) Permanent Settlement and Successive Generations; Motives for Emigration
Country (from) Great Britain
Country (to) Canada
Places New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Canada
Nationality English; Scottish
Keywords land, finance, government, agriculture
Additional Information This document is part of CO 384/41 from The National Archives, UK.
Language English
Original Volume Emigration. North America and Australia, 1836. Offices and Individuals
Copyright Crown Copyright documents © are reproduced by permission of The National Archives London, UK