The full content of this document is only available to subscribing institutions. More information can be found via

Title Colonization. The Canadian Agricultural, Coal & Colonization Company Limited, are prepared to Place Farmers on Completely Equipped and Stocked Farms of 160 Acres Each
Date c.1887
Document Type Poster
Reference M-3214
Library / Archive Glenbow Museum
Collection Name Canadian Agricultural, Coal and Colonization Company Fonds
Description Poster advertising the Canadian Agricultural, Coal and Colonization Company, Balgonie, Saskatchewan.
Series Description Series 2 – Poster, [ca. 1887-1888].
Biographical Note / History The Canadian Agricultural, Coal and Colonization Company was started in 1887 by Sir John Lister-Kaye, a member of the British nobility who came to Balgonie, Saskatchewan in 1885. The company acquired 11 large tracts of land (about 10,000 acres or 4000 hectares apiece) from Balgonie, Saskatchewan to Namaka, Alberta, on which it was intended to use the latest methods of cultivation and breeding. In 1888 the company purchased the cattle of the Powder River Cattle Company and entered the ranching business. In 1889 D. H. Andrews was appointed manager of the stock operations. The Stair Ranch, near Redcliff, Alberta, was one of the tracts of land kept primarily as a ranching operation. Andrews started the Canada Land and Ranch Company in 1895 and took over CACCC's operations.
Theme(s) Permanent Settlement and Successive Generations; Motives for Emigration
Places Balgonie, Saskatchewan, Canada
Keywords land, business, emigration
Additional Information Please note: Some of the metadata for this document has been taken from the Glenbow Museum catalogue.
Language English
Document(s) linked to Letters re Company's General Business, 1890s
Copyright Glenbow Museum